Sterling Ice Kap Skeg

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by drahcir, May 26, 2018.

1. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

I have traded for a very poorly maintained Sterling Ice Kap. Among its needs are a new skeg with associated wire. I am waiting to hear from Sterling Kayaks whether such replacement parts exist. However, my question to those who have paddled Ice Kaps: how necessary is the skeg? If it behaves like my NDK Explorer, I could get along without it for now.

2. AndyM

AndyM New Member

No, for the most part, it sounds like you don't need it (for now).
    -
    I paddled Romany's and Explorer's for years, and, as you, rarely deployed the skeg.
    I've had an Ice Kap for several years. Also rarely deploy the skeg. For short distance paddles, even if necessary (quartering seas from behind), you can 'tough it out'. However, on long distance paddles in these conditions, the skeg can be make the trip much more comfortable.
    I would get it fixed, but it doesn't have to be done immediately.

3. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Thanks for your input Andy. For now I'll disable the non functioning skeg and then see how she handles. This will be a spare boat for visitors and that may be sufficient ... still waiting to hear from Sterling. I'll plug the skeg hole in a fashion that allows me to unplug it and can subsequently install a replacement as needed.