VIDEO CAMERA ADVICE ?

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by datakoll, Feb 12, 2014.

1. datakoll

datakoll Paddler

Finally, time for video. I'm photographing grackles with a Canon SX 10 Zoom bought 2007. The processor (?) does not allow enough exposure or color reception to illuminate the black bird against a sky intensity.

Would the best of kayak use able video cameras work with that contrast problem ? Is there a helmet adaptable with available zoom ?

I'm planning an Alaska trip for humpback whales. Follow with blue whales off Catalina.

Camera suggestions ? Links ?

2. datakoll

datakoll Paddler

How is acceptable exposure for the imaged subject managed with your equipment ? For example, a whale on a bright water background ? Or a dark bird on a bright sky ?

The Canon SX10is used here for video has Manual Focus. So far still and video MF asks me to guess at the desired range by setting the processor and +/- slider with a still shot into a darker or brighter area than the intended subject then proceeding to using the slider on the subject image.

3. datakoll

datakoll Paddler

Now I understand manual focus is MANUAL FOCUS. The light meter does not adapt to a full light spectrum from dark to dazzling. Are kayak video users setting exposure aiming the unit at a dark area then adjusting ?

This link explained the procedure.

http://community.spiritofphotography.co ... hp?page=23