What Wax do you use?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by designer, Jun 20, 2019.

1. designer

designer Paddler

We've seen the ad - a yellow muscle car and one wave of color and it's good for 3-4 years - Rust-o-lium. So I looked at the box. It's not one process - there's a cleaner applied, then wait, then the "polymer" then wait, then wipe clean. Looking in the box - there are two toothpaste size tubes, micro fiber towel and sponge applicator. I guess you don't need much wax if it is going to last 3+ years.

Then there were all varieties of McQuire's; sprays and paste. I'm use to the paste wax. But I'm also use to a mouse pointer instead of a trackball or touchpad. So maybe sprays are just and good and easier.

I also wondered about the need for the first stage cleaning in the Rust-o-lium kit. Is it really more effective than just the usual pre-wax cleaning with soap and water?

Also, these waxes are designed for cars that get exposure to rain and sun. But boats, and the top of cars when the boats drip, are exposed to saltwater. So I wonder if that makes a choice difference.

These days I go over the top deck and hatches with 303 a few times a season and use a spray wax on the hull after most trips. Would there be any "real" benefit to going back to paste wax. I mean I suppose the fact that I clean it at all makes the boat happy.

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Well, my boats are lucky to get a rinse off. Definitely not a wax user.

Wax on a car is meant to help prevent the car's paint from fading, discoloring, or oxidation, which are common effects of sun damage. For kayaks, storing inside should prevent all of this. Not sure if wax would have the same effect for non-painted kayaks. And then the questions comes up of whether wax would stay in place when you paddle - kind of like how they say sunscreens need to be reapplied after swimming - do waxes also wash off?

I could see the benefit to 303ing hatch covers (that said, I still don't).

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I do wax the hull of my boats sometimes - not to protect the hull or make it go faster (though the boat does slide down the beach, so I need to be attentive...), but because I think it helps to keep 'stuff' in the water from sticking to the hull. A good coating of slime on the hull will definitely slow down the boat, I think.

4. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

About twice a year I wash, dry and repair gelcoat chips on the hull. If you can see fibres in the chip, it needs to be repaired. Once the repair is complete, I use the old Turtle Wax green paste automotive wax on the whole boat. I have a rotary polisher that I use with a soft cloth buffing pad to remove the hazy, dry wax. It may be psychological but, for a few days it feels as if the boat travels much quicker. The waxing also seems to bring up and restore the yellow top deck and make it easier to rinse off the salt water and bits of water line scum and seaweed. Polishing the kayak allows a close inspection of it and I have caught many defects requiring repair while doing so.

JohnAbercrombie likes this.