WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - December 2011

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by SheilaP, Dec 2, 2011.

1. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

YEY! I get to start the forum. Yesterday I did some skills development in Cadboro Bay. Today, I went surfing at Jordan River. :big_thumb

Busting out

Big One

WHeee

Attached Files:

2. WaterMark

WaterMark Paddler

Took advantage of the sunny weather today to paddle from Jericho to UBC and try out my new camera.

Attached Files:

3. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I took advantage of the nice forecast for yesterday to book a vacation day off, then biked down to the boathouse at English Bay.

[​IMG]

First order of business was to test fit the new Hobie sail I'm installing over the winter. As I'd hoped and expected, its mast slid down through the Scotty fixture that holds my current Spirit sail. I didn't take the Hobie to sea yesterday, as I still need to size and install a really rugged mast cup on the "floor" of the kayak. The mast is ten feet tall, so the torque on it will be pretty high.

Putting the sail and sponsons back in the boathouse, I headed out for a "regular" paddle. In my drysuit, I was comfy and safe. The weather was sunny and millpond calm.

[​IMG]

I saw one other paddler in the distance (it was a weekday, after all). After a couple of hours I landed, about 15:00 hours. Biked home, getting a workout for arms and legs. It's so nice to live in a place where the water never freezes.

4. WaterMark

WaterMark Paddler

Beautiful mild winter day today, so I went for a paddle in English Bay. I usually head west for the view up Howe Sound and to get away from the city, but today there low clouds covering and mountain view, so I decided to paddle towards the city for a change. It was mixed sun and cloud, so the lighting kept changing which was cool.

One cool thing about paddling in winter here is all the seabirds: surf scooters, scaups, some I couldn't identify.

Kayakers, seabirds, mountains... Vancouver rocks!

Paddling towards downtown

Kits Beach

I tried to get an abstract shot of the light light on the water. Another cool thing about winter paddling is the sun is so low, it makes beautiful colours and reflections on the water.

Attached Files:

5. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

WaterMark, I love your pictures!! Yes, Vancouver is a splendid city. Spent there many years, just enjoying it in many different ways.

Back to the pictures. Could you share your methods of processing them? They seem to be so perfect. :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb :big_thumb

6. AM

AM Paddler

Hey Watermark,

I recognize that QCC boat: I saw you coming in today from Jericho, where I was loading a boat on my car on. Looked like an awesome day to be on the water.

Andrew

7. WaterMark

WaterMark Paddler

@AM - cool... I saw you last summer at paddlefest rocking the Nordkapp AM. Of course I had no idea who it was till I read your post about it.

Hopefully we'll meet in person some day :big_thumb

8. WaterMark

WaterMark Paddler

@greg

My #1 technique for processing my photos is the delete button. If I take 40 pics, I'll be happy if I end up with 4 that I keep.

I take my camera out as often as I can, but I don't need tons of photos each time I'm on the water. I'm hoping to get 1 or 2 that capture something new, some interesting lighting, etc.

I use iPhoto - first I straighten them because a lot of my pics come out crooked. Then I crop, trying to find what gives the photo life and a good composition, eliminating anything extraneous. Then I do a little (sometimes) with contrast, exposure and saturation. Mostly to make it closer to what it looked like to my naked eye. Ideally if I had the camera on the right setting and exposure I wouldn't do any.

9. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Thanks WaterMark. The panoramas look as if they have been massaged with
    HDR technique, so I asked.

My delete and crop functions are frequent as well. Thanks God we do not have to pay for the film anymore.

10. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

The last day of the year was the first decent weather day in ages I'd had a chance to paddle. I scuttled down to English Bay and put out to sea.
    One object of the trip was to test the sizing of the ABS plumbing end cap that will eventually be glued into place as a mast step for this year's evolution of my sail set-up (see my other posts.) I was checking to find the right balance of size for security without interfering with my feet below decks.

[​IMG]

I looped out around Siwash Rock, seeing one other kayaker.

[​IMG]

After that, I sailed over to towards Kits, where the Viking boat was out on the water. Sadly, my camera battery had died by this point.

After a couple of lovely hours afloat, I landed, washed out my boat in prep for future mast base gluing, and biked home. A nice way to send off the old year.

11. rheag

rheag Paddler

For our final paddle of 2011, on December 31st Toffer and I circumnavigated Harstine Island in Case Inlet of the South Puget Sound. It was about 22 nm in 7 hours, well within the 8.5 hours of daylight available. The currents were weak and usually favored us, the sun warmed our icy fingertips once in awhile, and we spotted more kayaks than boats out enjoying the nice December day. The winds spit up against us a few times, but usually died just as quickly , members of the healthy seal population tailed us, and nothing felt terribly hard. The last couple of miles I was eager to finish as we hadn’t gotten out of the boats all day, but overall it was a successful, peaceful, happy way to finish off 2011.

Attached Files:

12. stevenf

stevenf Paddler

13. Stumpy

Stumpy Paddler

Nice trip! I've never been there in the winter time, used to always go in July- September... nice and deserted, but usually 100 degrees- plus. Just one question... why Modelo Negra? You can get that up north, gotta try Corona Barril! I don't think they even allow that one to leave Mexico... let the Gringos drink that lager crap! :lol:

14. stevenf

stevenf Paddler

Well, after three or four they all start tasting the same to me :D But I found I loved the Modello Negra, especially the small stubby bottles they come in. Reminds me of our old stubby bottles up here! Will give the Corona Barril a try next time I'm there...definitely I'm up for a return trip!

15. AM

AM Paddler

Steven,

That was a great trip report, a real joy to read on a grey Vancouver day. I gotta hand it to you: you really have the 'self-care' aspect down pat. Tequila, cold beer, novels...

Regards,
    Andrew

16. Teknoviking

Teknoviking Paddler

Steven, thanks for the great trip report! Sounds like a lot of fun!

I think your night time visitors were probably Coatimundi. We ran into them a lot backpacking in Southern Arizona. They are clever fellows and will steal the goodies (and anything shiny) out of your ruck if you are not careful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coatimundi

If you go again, you have to post more pictures.

~Pat