WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? - June 2007

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Jurfie, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

How exciting, I get to make the WDYP thread... :D

Today was my birthday, so I took the day off work and went out for a short paddle in Indian Arm. It was the first time for my wife (*puffsoutchest*); we rented a double and took a leisurely trip, just to get her used to the boat (it was only the second time for me too), floating along and admiring the homes we can't afford. 'Twas nice, and the wifey said she'd like to go out again (WOOT!).

We topped it off with a gallon or so of wine with lunch, finished with one of those tasty honey doughnuts.

All-in-all, a good birthday. 8)

2. sludge

sludge Paddler

yup, a very good day.

3. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

because.....
    lol

4. sludge

sludge Paddler

Oh, I am sorry for being obtuse. I was merely trying to acknowledge Jurfie's good day.

5. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Hah...never even thought of that - thought you didn't want to tell us! 8)
    :lol:

6. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

I went for a boot up around albert head today. First time out this year, and man are my hip flexors sore ;)

7. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Rolling clinic with Dubside.

I didn't get a roll down, but had a great time anyway. I got a bunch of cool video and met some super nice people.
    Thanks DarrenN for letting me crash at your place. It was neat to see the shop and all the boats in person.
    Thanks Comoxpaddler for helping me with the sculling. And the encouraging words.

It was a pleasure to meet you both!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a HUGE thanks to Dubside! 8)

8. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

To celebrate by 50th BD, I paddled up Indian Arm to Granite Falls on Friday afternoon and spent a couple of nights. I had the wind to my back all the way up and was able to do some golf umbrella sailing from Twin Islands to a little ways past the 2nd power station. The campground was pretty busy and I had to hang my hammock pretty close to the falls which were quite swollen and very loud. Had a very relaxing time Friday evening and during the day on Saturday just chilling, doing some reading and fixing myself some elaborate meals. It was actually kind of a treat to be able to have a camp fire. I'm so used to fire bans that I usually don't even think about building a fire anymore. Of course, now all my gear smells like campfire... Dan and Gord joined me at almost midnight on Saturday night and we paddled back Sunday afternoon against the wind. Haven't "developed" my photos yet but it's just the usual photos of gorgeous mountain scenery and waterfalls.

9. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Sounds like a great Birthday! Sorry I couldn't make it...

10. cyberhun

cyberhun Paddler

I paddled Indian Arm for the first time on Sunday but didn't go very far because I knew I was going to have to slog back upwind the same day --- next time I'll go overnight and try to come back in the morning perhaps, hug the shoreline and stay in the narrow, wind-free boundary that extends 30-40 feet from the shore, or just bite the bullet and slog the whole way back right up the middle.
    this should take you to an online album
    http://picasaweb.google.com/tomfromvan/Indian_Arm_June_2007

This should show the route, but the link doesn't end in jpg, so not really sure:
    [​IMG]

Lets try this, this is taken from 'properties' of the image whilst being displayed in a browser, but some of this url looks session related and probably changes with each user sesssion, but lets try anyway.

[Admin - deleted image (same as above) because it was way too big]

What the heck, if you really want to see the pics, just follow the link to the album, it's kind of impractical to obtain and verify the url to individual pictures stored on picassa, and thats really the only way to have the pictures automatically display in these threads.

11. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

On the right hand side of your Picasa photo site you'll see a column entitled "Link To This Photo" Select the code underneath "HTML to embed in website". You'll need to do some formatting to that code to get it to appear here but it is doable.

12. lovinit

lovinit New Member

On Sunday we took a paddle down the Harrison River and had a great time. We put in at the Hotel and exited at the other end at Kilby Park. The water is fairly high right now and running fast, which was in our favour when the wind came up in the afternoon. Lots to see. Looking forward to doing that one again.

13. rider

rider Paddler

Another option is to go back at night, wind dies out around 7-8 or so. The one time i paddled the whole indian arm i left deep cove around 10:30 with a tailwind, along the left side,( Bergs landing side), went a wee bit upstream of the river,headed back up to granite falls,relaxed for an hour or two and paddled back,got back to deep cove just before 11pm.

14. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

lovinit, the Harrison River is also a favourite of mine. Tons of good scenery and the current of the river makes for easy paddling.

cyberhun, if you want to see the really expensive houses on the arm, paddle down from Deep Cove on the west side of the arm towards Cates Park, past the Dollarton district. They don't call it Dollarton for nothing.
    ---

I paddled up Indian Arm from Deep Cove on Saturday night with GordB to meet with Steve, who was celebrating his birthday at Granite Falls. We left Deep Cove at 8:00 PM and arrived at the campsite at 11:40 PM.

Steve was still celebrating when we arrived so we stayed up for a couple of hours before hitting the sack. On Sunday morning we got up to a late start and left Granite Falls at about 3:00 in the afternoon.

It was a very enjoyable paddle -- nice paddling with you Gord -- and happy birthday Steve.

This apparatus (anchored near Thwaites Landing) is a testing station for submarines. We spoke to the tug boat skipper and he told us that a company in North Vancouver was doing some preliminary testing in the arm for the US Navy. The depth where they were doing their testing was 540 feet. The main testing will take place in Jervis Inlet, the deepest inlet on the coast of BC:
    [​IMG]

A closer look at the sub. The sub was encased in the squarish tubular framework, which also had propeller drives attached to it. The monsterous yellow derrick is used to lower the sub into the water. A huge umbilical cord (to the right of the derrick) is attached to the sub (I'm assuming that this sub is tethered to the surface platform at all times):
    [​IMG]

As we continued on up the arm, night fell upon us -- this was the view from somewhere south of Berg's Landing:
    [​IMG]

Heading back on Sunday morning Steve rounds the top of Crocker Island:
    [​IMG]

Steve and Gord making their way along the channel on the west side of Croker Island:
    [​IMG]

Paddling past the cliffs. The bright green on the rock face is a particular type of lichen that we've seen in many other local locations:
    [​IMG]

Gord takes a few moments to play around in the outflow at Silver Falls:
    [​IMG]

I almost paddled right past this fellow -- I was only a few meters away but he blended in quite well with the rock face. Steve and Gord mentioned later that they were wondering why I had stopped at this spot -- they were about a hundred meters away and couldn't see the seal at all:
    [​IMG]

A view of the less photographed Bunzten Power Station No. 1:
    [​IMG]

And a different perspective than normally photographed of Bunzten Power Station No. 2:
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Steve and Gord for a very pleasant overnight trip.

15. GordB

GordB Paddler

Dan & Steve

Thanks for a wonderful paddle.
    It was a nice relaxing time in wonderful company.

Gord

16. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

A few more pics from the Dubside clinic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

18. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Crap! I left a small audio clip at the 9 min mark.... The video is only 5 1/2 minutes so there is a long black space at the end.

Ill fix the original and repost to YouTube..... :?

19. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

20. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

A new thread has been created to test posting images.