WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? June 2010

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mark_Schilling, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Took advantage of a beautiful, warm spring day (our first so far I think) on Saturday, June 5th to do a paddle I hadn't done for a while. I felt guilty about having to drive the 1.8km to the nearest put-in from my house, but that guilt quickly evaporated once I paddled into Cordova Bay towards Zero Rocks. I sustained what I felt was a fairly strong pace, and managed to cover the 5.6km distance in 45 minutes.

I rounded the light and made my way against a moderate ebb current to D'Arcy Island, a distance of about 4.5km, in another 45 minutes. I thought I deserved a rest, so I took a short breather and soaked up some sunshine as the sole occupant of D'Arcy Island before paddling back.

It's not a very scenic paddle (it's mostly open stretches), but sometimes it's just fun to go out and paddle hard for a few hours. Especially when you can be a thousand miles from civilization within an hour of pulling out of your driveway.

Attached Files:

2. rider

rider Paddler

Did the Round Bowen race. This time they ran it counterclockwise. Much easier than last time, part because i was in a much faster boat, and part because the winds weren't much of a factor compared to last year( last year's first and last 3-4 miles or so into strong headwinds). Currents seemed a mixed bunch , I think in the end they sort of canceled each other out in the grand scheme of things. Fueled by bagels and Ibuprofen,finished in 4 hours and 3 mins, about an hour faster than last time,despite tweaking my back the morning of the race.
    Good fun,good people, good bbq in the end!

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Ended up doing a nice relaxed paddle in False Creek last night with fellow WCP owner Steve. No pictures 'cause it was dark, but we had a good time of it, getting off the water around midnight.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Took advantage of a break in the rainstorms on Sunday afternoon and took "One" and "Two" out for a short paddle at "Little Bow Provincial Park" (just East of Claresholm). It's an irrigation impoundment that's backed up several k through the coulees. The scenery isn't exactly the same as what you see on the coast :D but we make do with what we have.

Judy with "One"

Local wildlife...coming soon to a grocery store near you.
    We do get nice skies though
    White clay banks
    Caprocks protect the clay from erosion and create topped columns
    Abandoned bird nests

Attached Files:

5. polkadottie55

polkadottie55 New Member

Hi, Mark,
    I bet ten people have said to me lately, "do you know Mark Schilling?" I was at Cadboro Bay on Saturday, teaching Introductory Rescues and Intermediate Rescues. Actually, it just turned out that I taught everything I knew. Oh, and I taught a friend of mine to roll with a GP, butterfly roll and standard roll.
    Will you be going to SSTIKS? Your name was mentioned in relation to my question about Deception Pass. Have you been there?
    I live in Victoria (the Highlands), and would love to talk. Lovely photos.
    Dorothea

6. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I did a pre-trip training paddle last night (I'm off to Princess Royal Island on June 19th). I got from English Bay to the first gun emplacement at Point Gray at the paddling equivalent of a very brisk walk. I put up both my downwind sails for the ride home - there was still a good wind running. That, combined with surfing the long, low swells leftover from a couple of days of strong winds, had me going 4 knots most of the way, with occasional surges to nearly 7 knots.

7. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

Please tell us more :popcorn:

No trips for this stiff this summer :cry: Would love to hear about yours!

Dave R

8. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Getting off the ferry at Klemtu June 20th. Plan is to go through Higgins Passage, north to Campania Island, back down through Princess Royal Channel and on into "fiordland'. Weather and paddling progress permitting, I'll take out at Bella Bella on July 9th. The fall back plan in the event of delays is to get the ferry out of Klemtu on July 11th.

I'm stoked. I've paddled in the Bella Bella and Price Island area before, including down to Namu. But I've never paddled this neck of the woods (water?) before. And I've done lots of solo trips before, but it's been years since I've done one this long alone.

9. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I paddled out of McNeill Bay this afternoon, heading west to go have a look at the 'flat-top' (aircraft carrier). As I got out of the bay, there was a nice solid westerly blowing in my face, and I noticed a few kite surfers out playing off Dallas Road.

I made my way past them, but made slow progress battling a strong flood current and increasing westerly winds. I finally got to a point that the Navy Patrol boat assured me was the closest I was going to get :roll:, although I'm certain it was much more than the prescribed 500 metres (I think I'll take my rangefinder on Saturday's paddle!). An impressive sight even at that distance though.

It took me two hours to reach that point, and I decided it was time to turn around and head back. I cruised past the Ogden Point breakwater with the wind, waves, and current at my back - wheee!

As I got back towards Clover Point, I counted no fewer than 9 kite surfers enjoying the considerable winds.

I managed some decent rides on some of the steeper waves as I neared Enterprise Channel. Enjoying the new drysuit so far - this was the first paddle with it!

Attached Files:

10. chodups

chodups Paddler

Really nice photos, Mark. Excellent! Love the water off the bow and the light on the water.

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

+1 on the photos. Mark! Love that first bow shot where the water looks metallic, as if you are paddling on mercury.

(What do you suppose the backup plan is for a kite surfer if his rig craters in that channel? Down here, they parallel the beach, generally within a hundred yards, often in sizeable surf, and if they lose the rig, they swim! Sometimes gear shows up on the beach, a mile downwind or so.)

12. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I wondered about that myself, Dave. Some of the obviously more skilled kite boarders today were zooming a long ways off-shore into the Juan de Fuca - I'd say, easily 2 miles or so from land. Sure, they had thick wetsuits and all, and I don't know anything about how their equipment works, but if something happened and they were unable to 'sail' back to the beach, I'm pretty sure they'd be in serious trouble!

13. wazza

wazza Paddler

Great Shots!, What were you using for a camera?

14. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

West Marine...is it good sponsor?

15. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Sell it to WestMarine! Sponsorship from WestMarine..not bad Mark.

16. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

No plans on heading down to SSTIKS (http://www.qajaqpnw.org/ for anyone who doesn't know what this is) this year...

Yes, we took a little trip down to Deception Pass last month. Quite fun! See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3940

17. chodups

chodups Paddler

Anyone headed to PA for the de Fuca Downwind? I'll be in a red and white Zephyr 15.5. Hope they have a Leisure Class as I have no intention of racing. If you are there give me a shout.

Jon

18. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Ha ha! Not quite. I'd been looking for deal on a Mustang inflatable PFD for a while. When we were down in Anacortes, I wandered into West Marine, looking for something completely unrelated, and they had these ones on sale for less than 1/2 of what I'd been able to find up here! They're branded with the West Marine logo instead of Mustang, but otherwise they appear to be identical to the Mustang PFD's - the inflator hardware and everything else looks exactly the same. Mango would not have been my first choice of colours, but for US$80 I couldn't resist!

19. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

Not heading that way but I don't think you'll need to worry about a leisure class. The race is during a -3 to +8.5 flood tide. The wind and current should help you get from Freshwater Bay to PA.

20. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Yesterday four Astorians and one vagabond in baidarka did a birthday paddle out of Aldrich Point, on the Columbia River, several klicks east of Astoria, on a hot, sunny, bluebird day. Honored birthday babe Terry feted the rest of us with foody treats, and Daniel showed off a part of his quiver of rolls and sculls. This was the second sunny day of the month, I think, a suitable break from the really rainy spring we have been having. Photos:

Tha party hats were so popular we wore them on the paddle back to the launch spot, prompting some puzzled stares from the canoeists just returned. They did not ask, but I was ready to explain they were standard sea kayak attire, to maintin our mojo.

Attached Files: