Why Andreas should NOT give up sea kayaking!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Mark_Schilling, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

It has come to my attention that long-time West Coast Paddler member (and friend!) Andreas has decided to sell all his paddling gear and give up sea kayaking in favour of mountain biking. Thus, I thought I'd start a thread here so we can all gang up on him - um, I mean so we can point out the error of his ways. Please chime in and convince Andreas to stick with sea kayaking!

Reasons to stay with sea kayaking and not switch to mountain biking:

* Once you have all the gear (which Andreas certainly does), sea kayaking is less expensive. There's very little wear on gear and boat repairs are easy to DIY with just a few dollars in tools and parts.

* Sea kayaking is a much gentler sport, especially given Andreas' advancing age. If you fall, the water is much easier on you (no 'road rash') especially once you learn to roll back up (which Andreas will be learning next weekend). No bones to break, ligaments to tear, muscles to pull... if you're breathing, you're good.

* Andreas already has lots of sea kayaking skills, whereas mountain biking takes a while to get up to speed with. And just when you think you're doing well, you encounter a particularly slippery root and all your confidence is out the window! (I know, I've cycled a lot longer than I've sea kayaked!).

OK, keep the list going! We're not going to let Andreas get away so easily! :lol:

2. blondie

blondie Paddler

*Mountain biking can be very painful. Much more painful, than say, backpacking. Kayaking is less painful.

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Why put yourself through that?

4. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

How 'bout the fact that all the leg movement required for pedaling can cause severe rubbing and wear on your legs while wearing lederhosen? Compare that to the minimal leg movement required for sea kayaking. Think of your personal chafety, Andreas!

And think of how much we'd miss you at the get-togethers and in the pub, yah big lug!

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Language barrier: lots of German kayaks out there can understand Andreas's accent; not very many German mt. bikes -- how will the non-German biikes know what he wants them to do? [Plus, the straps on the lederhosen will get caught in the spokes, tightening up on his whatsis, thereby making it impossible for Andreas to have kids ... Oh, wait, that's a reason FOR mt biking ... gene pool thang, ya know!]

6. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

Andreas should keep on kayaking because if he was to quit we'd all miss him.
    he'd probably die from living with the guilt of all the heartache he caused.
    :wink:

7. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

What?? :(
    Is that why he has all of his "stuff" for sale?
    I thought he was just getting new "stuff"! :wink:

Andreas should continue kayaking because we would miss his energetic enthusiasm and his great smile! We are also a muli-national organization and he is the mainstay of the German sector! Who will wear the lederhosen in the family?? Who will fight for the rights of the oppressed speedo-people? And besides, I just met his wonderful wife Carol last month and would like to get to know her as well!

I think, on retiring, he has lost his marbles and come up with this bizarre idea. :idea: I vote we boycott buying his "stuff" - if he can't sell his kayak "stuff" then he will be unable to defect and buy bike "stuff"!
    :cry:
    Kathy

8. waverider

waverider Paddler

I know a mid life crisis can be hard to deal with and all but come on....

Andreas GIVE YOUR HEAD A ________ SHAKE!

and anyways ,
    Mountain biking kind of goes against what you stand for doesn't it? Being Eco- Friendly and all. Think of all the plants your going to kill!

Seriously you leaving the kayaking world would be a real downer, I truly hope you don't. There has to be a way to do both sports.

P.S if any one buys any of his gear I will sic a posse on their ass!

9. Andy_Ferguson

Andy_Ferguson Paddler

You can't make a mountain bike out of fair trade bamboo.

10. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

actually; you can..........

http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboo.htm

but that by no means means that Andreas can quit kayaking!!

((i should buy his drysuit, but i'd rather drown hypothermic than have him leave us.))

11. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Hey Andreas You don't have to give one up for the other! Doing BOTH activities means the upper and lower bodies get good workouts. If room is a problem, friends in the hood will store your kayak! :D

Besides we would simply miss you too much on the forum and at campouts. :cool

Plus, this way should you end up (accidentally) with two broken legs, you can still come out to play with us...

12. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

Andreas, need some adrenarine flushing through your vein?
    Let's go kayak surfing and tidal race! I've been doing it and I still don't have scrapes and injuries...yet.

13. Stumpy

Stumpy Paddler

Andreas, why give up anything? Don't you know the old wisdom... "He who dies with the most toys wins?!

14. waverider

waverider Paddler

Hmmm, just thinking maybe we should start a Facebook group on this.. :lol:

15. andreas

andreas Paddler

Oh, cool I have my own fan club! Thank you :lol: :big_thumb

16. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Mountain biking is very bad for your "love life". Having a bicycle seat pounding the family jewels is very dangerous. :oops:

17. Kheyashunka

Kheyashunka Paddler

two words

FACE PLANT

18. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

Mountain biking

Andreas;

I haven't met you but have some advice just the same... Keep the kayak gear. I spent a number of years pounding up and down the single track stuff in Victoria and after a number of painful unintentional dismounts and expensive repairs, graduated to kayaking. Mountain biking is a lot of fun and is often less work to get "Launched" but it takes its toll much worse than paddling. The other bonus of kayaking is the ability to carry your home with you and stay in quiet, remote and scenic locations.

I still have that bike but it doesn't get out near as much. Nothing wrong with trying it out but you are likely to come back to the water.

19. rider

rider Paddler

Andreas, I've mountain biked for a few years in my teens,it's a hell of a lot of fun, and if you do more cross-country type stuff than hardcore downhill,the wipe outs can be kept to a manageable minimum. So go for it,you've been a 2 wheel guy before you were a paddler,right?
    But I'd hang on to the kayak and gear for a while because you won't get the same deal if you decide to come back into it. And hey,you're one of the more hilarious people around camp,we'll all miss that.
    This weekend I've caught air a couple times in my kayak :) Air can be had on water too,and without the hard wipe outs on land.