• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Campsites at Nootka Island, Louie Bay area

a_c

Paddler
So I seem to recall a post a while back (1 year? 3 years? These days it's all a blur) about certain campsites that would be disappearing from the BC Marine Trails website. The gist of the post was, grab a screenshot before they're gone, or something to that effect. A tenure issue, or FN related?

Anyway, I'm heading up that way in mid-August and I recall a campsite in the vicinity, maybe called Iron Bay or something? I'm sure there was something there, does anyone have any information on this? The site shown on the screen shot is Tongue Point West.

Also, can anyone confirm fresh water availability in the Nuchatlitz area? I know Benson Point has (had?) a small supply, but wondering what else is available, if anything.

Thanks!
Louie Bay.png

I like topo maps for finding water. These are two sources in the area that I have used. Mind you, I was there in early July and not in such a hot, dry summer, so YMMV.

Cheers,
Andrew

07892A75-7A5E-4EFD-AD26-1A9625C0EAF6.jpeg

2CAD088D-8F74-48D6-BC05-2E72DFAD37C8.jpeg

So I seem to recall a post a while back (1 year? 3 years? These days it's all a blur) about certain campsites that would be disappearing from the BC Marine Trails website. The gist of the post was, grab a screenshot before they're gone, or something to that effect. A tenure issue, or FN related?

Anyway, I'm heading up that way in mid-August and I recall a campsite in the vicinity, maybe called Iron Bay or something? I'm sure there was something there, does anyone have any information on this? The site shown on the screen shot is Tongue Point West.

I don't know if this will help?
https://westcoastpaddler.com/community/threads/info-on-oldham-beach-nuchatlitz.8279/

The site "Louie Bay' was listed by BCMTN in 2016 but has disappeared from the site now.

See the attached file which is the BCMTN Nuchatlitz .gpx from 2016. View in a text program (Notepad or similar) or change the extension back from .txt to .gpx (WCP doesn't allow .gpx attachments)

Attachments

• BCMT Nuchatlitz waypoints.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 211
It was Ferrier Point that I had seen before; I guess it's off limits now. It looks like 'Oldham' from that thread John referenced is now called Tongue Point West; anyway, looks like a good place to check out, so we probably will :)

Thanks!

It was Ferrier Point that I had seen before; I guess it's off limits now. It looks like 'Oldham' from that thread John referenced is now called Tongue Point West; anyway, looks like a good place to check out, so we probably will :)
Kimantis talks about a few possibilities at Ferrer Pt, so a Google search (Ferrer Point Campsite) might get you something....
It sounds like rocky approaches are a problem at Ferrer

I landed at Ferrer Pt in 2009, and you could camp there, but I didn't like the lay of the land.

imgp1018.jpg
imgp1017.jpg

Attachments

• imgp1018.jpg
    imgp1018.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 165
  • imgp1017.jpg
    imgp1017.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
May not be convenient depending on your route but there is a very good clear water source in Yellow Bluff Bay. I spent two nights at Islet 40 South which I thought was a very nice spot.

May not be convenient depending on your route but there is a very good clear water source in Yellow Bluff Bay. I spent two nights at Islet 40 South which I thought was a very nice spot

One thing to think about if you're into seclusion is that there's a huge number of people hiking the Nootka trail right now. Last week we left the very crowded (we saw 8-12 kayakers a day) Nuchalitz area hoping for less humans on the outer coast only to find 20-30 people a day hiking the trail. I don't know if this is normal or some pandemic related increase, but it was certainly a surprise for me. The hikers generally camp by the creeks or on the beaches at both ends so I think the smaller pocket beaches would be safe from the hoards. We camped at the places where reefs provided lower surf but In hind sight we would have braved exposed beaches to avoid the crowds because the swell/surf stayed low the whole time. Also, be ready with compass bearings or GPS in case of fog; we had a few nerve racking mornings when I was glad for both. I really liked using Navionics on my phone (except for battery drain) for this because it shows all the rocks and reefs with great detail.

One thing to think about if you're into seclusion is that there's a huge number of people hiking the Nootka trail right now.

That makes sense to me. Last year, the first COVID summer, we saw a surprising number of people when we paddled around Cape Scott. The main beaches along the Cape Scott/North Coast trails were pretty crowded. Once the borders open, things should die down as people resume their pre-pandemic travel.

Cheers,
Andrew

Ac. I haven't kayaked in the area but we got dropped off for the nootka trail near your ?. We noticed a cabin near there as we hiked by on the beach which would imply a water source but we didn't pay attention to that as we were just starting hiking.

BCMT's map does not show Louie Bay because, while we have some information, no-one has yet performed a Site Assessment there. This is useful step to confirm the site's location and features with photos to illustrate/document the same. BCMT's Trails Dev Cttee decided a while back that we'd require this step before we posted potentially misleading or even dangerous mis-information. (Lord knows there's plenty of that about....)
Other Nuchatlitz & Nootka sites we would like someone to assess are:

Mushroom Point
Potential Campsite
Coordinates lat 49° 55.527' lng -127° 12.772'

Porritt Creek
Potential Campsite
Coordinates lat 49° 55.491' lng -127° 12.450'

Grassy and Clark Islands
Informal site secondary
Coordinates lat 49° 55.345' lng -127° 14.877'

Jurassic Point
Campsite secondary
Coordinates lat 49° 53.063' lng -127° 10.555'

Yellow Bluff
Informal site primary
Coordinates lat 49° 51.433' lng -127° 7.318'

Rolling Roadstead
Potential Campsite
Coordinates lat 49° 51.256' lng -127° 1.639'

Fife Bay
Potential Campsite
Coordinates lat 49° 49.770' lng -126° 55.414'

Mary Basin
Potential Campsite
Coordinates lat 49° 47.338' lng -126° 51.666'

Aass
Potential Campsite
Coordinates lat 49° 37.103' lng -126° 49.379'

Calvin Falls South Point
Potential Campsite
Coordinates lat 49° 38.974' lng -126° 50.224'

Callicum Creek
Potential Campsite
Coordinates lat 49° 36.095' lng -126° 42.747'

Princesa Channel
Potential Campsite
Coordinates lat 49° 43.170' lng -126° 37.698'

In Spring 2021, BCMT offered virtual workshops on how to conduct a Site Assessment. There is some documentation on BCMT's website.

BCMT's map does not show Louie Bay because, while we have some information, no-one has yet performed a Site Assessment there.
Thanks for this info Nick.

I'm heading up there tomorrow, with a bit more lead time I would have definitely built in at least one or two of these sites to visit. Is there any outreach to the paddle community to try and get these (and other) sites assessed? Seems like a missed opportunity here (if this info is on the BCMT site and I've missed it, apologies).

Absolutely.
At one time I posted lists here on WCP, but got v little uptake, so I got out of the habit. This Spring, we concentrated on advising paddlers about sites needing assessment from Campbell R to Pt Hardy but used clubs and our web site to promote this. I'm happy to provide info if a paddler is willing to be fairly specific about the area to be visited, but I prefer to not go to a lot pf trouble if I get only vague requests.

Back