• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Cleaning lichens off gelcoat?

Philip.AK

Paddler
I have a boat that has been sitting on a rack for a while uncovered, and there are lichens growing on the gelcoat. I need to clean them off, and I thought I'd start with a non-toxic spray of white vinegar with a bit of dish soap as is suggested online. Or I could just go at it with a brush. What have folks here found to be the best method for the gelcoat?

TIA

Sounds about right with the vinegar. I dunno, you have to have a mechanical release first from the porous gelcoat on a GRP hull. That’s probably a chemical and elbow grease. I know a few friends with canoes left idle far too long and it’s always the same issues, though their can be some serious residue staining. I’ve used Goof-off and Magic-eraser at times for the final cleaning before polishing with whatever people like. I’m not sure if power washing is a good idea on a smooth surface. I suppose you can control the force. Too much is never good for the finish. Of course the best maintenance is preventative maintenance but you aren’t here for a lecture :)

I usually use a bit of Palmolive and a deck brush. Some gelcoat is softer so a gentler touch may be required.

I sprayed it down with a mix of vinegar and a dab of liquid dishwashing soap. I’ll let it sit for 24 hours and then use a brush with some sudsy water. It was a warm day so the vinegar and soap mix probably dried relatively quickly, but the soap helps it stick. This soap-vinegar mix I have actually used successfully as weed killer. It’s kind of dumb that it ended up this way, because I actually had a fabric cover for the boat and I just didn’t bother throwing over until it was way too late.

Reactions: CPS
I don’t know if the 24 hours of vinegar solution made any difference, but today I used a medium-bristled scrub brush and soapy water (plus some elbow grease) and went to work on the boat. The lichens came off reasonably easily, though some ‘roots‘ seemed to remain, but I got those with a ‘non-scratching scouring pad’ (does that concept compute?). Anyway, a pretty easy cleanup.

Reactions: CPS
You could also use a marine cut wax with a variable speed buffer and pads if you one. That will take the discoloured gel coat surface down a bit to refurbish the finish. Well worth the cost if you want to spruce up the boat, or if you have more than one to maintain. I use my buffer to take out minor scratches on the deck from wear and tear and paddle blade entries every spring. Works very well.

Back