• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Delta 12s or eddyline Rio?

Jetku

Looking for a Kayak for my wife, 5'3 115. Expect mostly lake use in Seattle area. I've a Delta 14 for a year now, but other than rentals that's our only experience.

Want something light so she can move it herself if desired. The 12s and Rio both look like good boats, can anyone help us understand the pros/cons/compare?

Thanks

They look to be very comparable. From the photos the Rio seems to have more rocker making it more maneuverable but with perhaps less tracking. But that might be offset by other hull shape factors, or just the photos. If you can't try them both, either would probably fit the bill for a recreational boat just fine. Is one more readily available?

here' a visual comparison, same scale:

[wrong image, wrong size shown - see below]

Last edited:
Mick your Delta 12s is 10" too long.The 12s is 12' on the nose.

aargh, thanks.
this is more correct:
Delta12sVsEddylineRio12b.jpg

Last edited:
I think the eddyline is available locally, not sure if the delta is in stock. Don't think anywhere close has demos for either.

The eddyline looks shallower, especially the rear. Deltas day hatch is super convenient.

In terms of stability,deltas seem to have rep for higher primary and maybe less maneuverability? Should we be concerned about the eddy being too easy to tip for a novice?

Thanks

Having owned two Eddylines and the Delta 12.10, I can say with no hesitation that the Delta hull shape is much more stable in wind and waves that the Eddyline hull. They have opposite shapes. Eddylines have a very low bow and stern, while Deltas have very large volume in the bow and stern. In my experience, Eddylines need quite a bit of skill (bracing) to keep them upright in rough water, while the Delta hull needs very little skill as the hull does the stability work for you even when you're hit by waves in confused seas. Avoid thinking, "I don't paddle in those kinds of conditions." Famous last words, as I learned.

Back