Johnstone strait in mid sept.

rider

Paddler
Hey guys. Got some time off and was thinking of heading to Johnstone strait for a few days. Would this be a good time to see orcas? Or is it too late in the year? I know weather won't be spectacular...

VanIslePaddler

Paddler
My Good friend was there just this last week, lots of whales, sealions, etc, and some fantastic fishing! And not many other people on the beach!

Wait for the weekend! http://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=06800&stationID=WME

Less fish than last week or the week before means the Orcas move further and faster. The link in previous post is for motorized viewing; they can mover around much faster. You will see them but not in the manner or numbers of earlier in the season. Lots of dolphins about. All the eagles have moved on.

canoecat

Paddler
A and G clan Orca picked up on the hydrophones in Johnstone Strait, Saturday. Sept. 14. Also around Blackfish Sound area Friday.

RoyN

Paddler
I used to go up into Johnstone Straight in my powerboat in September. The most consistant Orca sightings were near the northern end of Johnstone Straight.

canoecat

Paddler
Latest from Deb's Deli posting:
"Orca: still circling Hanson Island on a daily basis. Humpbacks were singing in Blackfish Sound last night "

windancer

Paddler
rider said:
Hey guys. Got some time off and was thinking of heading to Johnstone strait for a few days. Would this be a good time to see orcas? Or is it too late in the year? I know weather won't be spectacular...
I know when I was there in 2010, it was early September. IMO it was spectacular, was there for 6 days. The weather was great very little wind and overall just a great time. Here are some photos if any one is interested http://www.pbase.com/windancer/kayaking

Terrry