• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Short boat question

JoeDupuis

Hypothetically, say you bought a 14.6' kayak in a hurry because everything else was sold out and then notice the boat was shorter than you thought. Would you take this boat on a 3 to 5 days trip if it was your only boat? Let's say that this boat was a Eddyline Sitka LT for example.

What about surf?

Sized at 14-6Long x 1-11.5 Wide x 1-1.5 Ckpt front with generous ckpt- seems a good size to me. I have weekended in a 13-3 x 2-0 kayak with a fair amt of gear [including cart] in the past and there are a fair number of river kayakers camping in smaller 10ish boats - but admittedly minimalist.
And any loaded kayak in surf is to be paddled and handled carefully, but what's new? - at the important level coming in you have more maneuverability and out possibly better punch-thru. I think you just might end up reallly liking the compromise. You will have to pack carefully and make some gear decisions - but it will give you opportunity for critical thinking - you'll have to do some at least.
I haven't been in one, but generally like the looks of it - the only quibble I have is the space lost/compromised by the skeg but many are like that. I'd make up or use some really small bags to maximize the packing/volume ratio in that area - and horrors, maybe a deck bag or so might be in the balance of possibilities.

SitkaLTa.jpg

Couple of years ago I did a 5 day trip to the Nuchatlitz with a guy who had a similar boat. Mind you, I don't think he changed his clothes the whole trip or ate any vegetables, but I'm sure if you pack sensibly it probably won't be a problem.

Comparing the stowage volume in a kayak to a backpack can put things into perspective.
Getting away from the canoe tripping/kayak trip mindset : "It's a holiday, I wanna have all my stuff!" is the tricky part. :)

Heh heh, first thoughts are dehyrating, down bag, and hammock, but another smart thing to do is to make friends with an barge type expedition yak . . . or a double . . . or only paddle where there'll be regular water supply along the way . . .

or drag along a kayak pod . . .

I don't think it should be a problem taking part in a 3-5 d trip in such a boat, although having a friend or two willing to spare a small drybag-worth of space in their own boats would make packing easier.

Many years ago, I did a 10 day kayaking trip off Newfoundland with a bunch of friends. We had a number of common/shared items, like stove, which helped with required space. Once we were all packed up, I noticed that there was almost nothing in my rear compartment, so a little more distribution of goods took place.

Thank you! It reassures me.
Though I booked a course at the end of the summer and they told me it's probably too short for the course (to keep up with the group).

I'll see if I can rent one for this event. A bit bummed out I really wanted to use my own boat, but this makes me less worried about taking it on other trips. I probably could keep up with the group, but I can't be sure.

Things that make stowage smaller than it should be are how far aft the aft bulkhead is and the skeg. On my wooden kayaks you are basically backed up against the bulkhead so the aft compartment is maximum volume. On plastic kayaks it can be a foot or so aft meaning lost dry space. The kayak shown above is questionable as to where the bulkhead is. The other thing is a skeg takes up a lot of room. Unfortunately the attitude is, "use a broken rudder (a skeg) not a proper rudder". Wait for it, here come the skeg supporters.....

With the shorter kayak you want every stroke to be a power stroke so you can keep up with the group.

If you're with a normal group and you're in semi-good shape, I don't really think it'll make course difference - if the course is anything but how to paddle fast to the next spot. There'll be talking and demonstrating and looking at this and that and re-adjusting equipment and some who are slow - so the average speed is likely to be maintained by you.
I liked the greater exercise required with short boats in a group but the only real problem I have had is the much greater turbulence making it harder to hear the conversations as you paddle along. But with a 14.5 ft boat compared to others in the 16-17 ft range, probably no problem at all - unless you're typically the weak link in groups. If you're average, just be well prepared [handy water, handy necessary gear etc] against causing slowdown.

and off topic provocation for fun:
just break off skeg garbage and rudder crap and be rid of the lines, blades, hinges, housings, wedges, and wobbly pegs, footpads and sliders - and celebrate freedom from unnecessary flawed mechanical intrusions into the enjoyment of directing your meandering course thru the water of life . . . unless . . .​

Though I booked a course at the end of the summer and they told me it's probably too short for the course (to keep up with the group).

So quick google seach, 14' hull speed is 5 knots, 17' boat is 5.5 knots. Standard touring speed is 3-4 knots for experienced paddlers. The width of your boat will make more of a difference for speed (as well as shape and such), unless you are doing sprints, length should not be a concern for speed. If anything less wetted surface gives an advantage in touring speed. It's not like your boat is built like a 10' pelican that pushes a bow wake even at slow speeds due to its stubby design.

I've done overnight trips in a 14' necky, and with sloppy packing still had enough room to include my home-made kayak cart, while it is wider than yours it is also the low volume version so who knows overall? Like others have said, take a backpacking approach to gear and you should be fine. My guess is that general bias against shorter boats is usually because that is where you find a lot of recreational designs, while anything over 15' is almost guaranteed to be more serious.

Last year I did a 5 day trip using my Dagger Stratos 14.5 and found it not only did the job but i was able to pack it the same as I would if using my 16.10 ft long Sirocco without any issues or skipping anything. That included all the water and some fresh food.

Back