• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Tent Option

BigandSmall

Paddler
In a recent thread I believe Philip commented on the Hubba NX2 being the common tent standard. I thought I'd share this redesign of Marmot's Limelight 3P. They've added a bit of extra interior space on both sides that makes it live much larger (at the expense of the vestibules). It's not a cramped design anyway and with the bump outs we may have got by just fine with the 2P but still elected for elbow room of the 3P. This tent has less mesh than other designs making it better for the shoulder seasons. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but hopefully the extra space doesn't make it too cool for two. The old model had a solid reputation, hopefully this one will be good too.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 92
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 102
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 95
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 91
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 93
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 99
I've used the older model when car camping and having a zippered door on each side - so one person doesn't have to crawl ever the other person, if they have to check a tree's hydration level at night - makes it a winner. I have a lot of older tents with one door. They were fine when I was the only "one". Having an two exits for two people raises a high valuation bar when comparing to other tents.

This tent has less mesh than other designs making it better for the shoulder seasons.
Glad to hear. This trend of mesh instead of nylon walls/roof to save a few grams in weight has gone a bit far, IMO.

I'm inching closer to pulling the trigger on a Hilleberg Allak 3 - key word being inching. Love their tents, but the price!! :cry:

I'm inching closer to pulling the trigger on a Hilleberg Allak 3 - key word being inching. Love their tents, but the price!! :cry:
That's the tent chosen by friends of mine (male-female couple, v.experienced trippers and paddlers) after looking at my Allak (2). I agree the prices now are breathtaking. I bought my (used but only slightly) Allak a number of years ago on eBay from a guy in Germany...the 'good old days' of eBay.

Thanks for the review on the Limelights. I do like the idea of more fabric and less mesh in the canopy for Wet Coast camping; it's one of the things I was bummed about when they went more-meshy in the Hubba series a few years back. It's possible my current Hubba Hubba NX2 will outlive me (one of the upsides of getting older and older is that the cost of a lifetime supply of anything gets lower and lower.) But if it turns out to be the other way around, and I outlive the Hubba, I'd give the Limelight 2 serious consideration as my solo shelter.

About a year ago I asked for advice/suggestions about tents and ended up buying TNF Stormbreak 3. It's nice tent, has to vestibules and does have a fair amount of mesh, a bit much for a 3 season tent. I ended up selling it because my wife and I both found it a bit difficult to get out of the rainfly opening, the zippered opening was not very high and we would end up very much crawling out of the tent.

I ended up buying a Eureka Mountain Pass 3 on sale at the end of last season. It too has two vestibules and the rainfly's zippered opening is higher, which makes getting in and out easier. It has zippered side panels, so you can adjust the amount of exposed mesh on the inner tent. It get's my wife's approval.

I had bought (mail order) a Marmot Tungsten 2P for my daughter a few years ago and was a little disappointed with the amount of mesh (more backpacking focus I suppose). When it came time to get one for my son I got him the Limelight 2P. Less mesh and more roomy than the Tungsten. I had planned on getting us the 3P soon after but they disappeared from stock for 2 years and came back as this re-design. One of the other key features that sold me on the Marmot tents is how they bend their poles for a more vertical side wall. No one likes a sloped side touching them in the morning.

Rememeber when considering the coverage (mesh vs nylon) that you will probably want to put a tarp over the tent anyway - in addition to its rainfly. The advantages are increased warmth, privacy, and dry area for setup/teardown.

With a tarp, the only wet item to pack is the tarp. Without a tarp, if it is raining, many things can get wet until the tent setup/takedown is complete. Even then, you have a very small dry footprint for your other gear.

Though tarp use is standard in hammock camping, I learned about its use with tents during a Kayak camp put on by Body,Boat and Blade, and Shearwater on Orcas in 2001 (I have the tee shirt :) ).

A mesh roof is a nice feature when weather permits. Its exposure is balanced by using a tarp.

But I understand, a freestanding tent is ... freestanding. A tarp requires stringing up.

Reactions: CPS
But I understand, a freestanding tent is ... freestanding. A tarp requires stringing up.
And, a good tent will be (fairly) "stormproof". I've never seen a tarp setup over a tent that is anything but a 'flapper' in any sort of wind, and probably 'airborne' in a storm. But in a gentle rain, with an 'American style' tent (inner tent up first, fly over that), a tarp is a nice luxury.

Tent "technology" has advanced a bit since my first hiking tent. Non-stretch materials and judicious use of shock-cord (backed up by static line) on the guy outs - minimal flap. If the storm is "that bad", it will be making its own noise. But with an open field like the south side of Jones Island, you'd have to rely on some pole and ground anchors on at least one, most likely two, sides. In that case, self standing is great.

In that case, self standing is great.
Yes. In an exposed spot, even a freestanding tent needs some healthy piles of rocks or good stakes to keep from getting airborne particularly when unoccupied. But feeling that one's body weight is the only thing keeping the tent from being blown away is no fun, as I was told by more unlucky (or more adventurous) friends 'back in the day'. :)
Off-Topic Rant: something that irritates me is the common practice of advertising tents as 'self-supporting' or 'freestanding' when in fact the vestibules need to be staked out. "There should be a law against that".... etc.. :)

Reactions: CPS
Here is a fantastic tent option. We have one. The Tent Lab is a passion project for a tent and outdoor designer Mike Cecot-Scherer. The tents are well designed, spacious and very durable. Ours is the Moonlight 3.
Attached picture of tent at the Copland islands.

Attachments

• IMG_20190709_121819308.jpg
    IMG_20190709_121819308.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20190707_190942414.jpg
    IMG_20190707_190942414.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 65
I have an early LimeLight 3. The best feature/upgrade from my earlier tents is the door on each side. Admittedly, in earlier days there was just me and my gear in the tent. Nowadays, someone else might be in there with me and when it comes to getting up late at night - for either of us - it's nice to have your own exit door.

Back