• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

What is the thing that holds the rudder with it's folded called?

SZihn

Paddler
Hello all.
I just picked up 2 kayaks, both with rudders. One has a rubber “cradle” which I would like to replace just because it’s so small, and the other one has a “cradle” that’s torn and non-functional. I can fabricate what I need for replacements, but it would be easier to buy them.

However I am unsure if such parts are sold, and I don’t know what the part is called, so I don’t know what to search for on line. I call it a cradle, but that’s just a guess.

Suggestions? Advice?

Not really. I am picking them up for friends who I baited into trying our kayaks. Now they love it, so they are wanting to get kayaks themselves.
I have the truck with the rack, so I volunteered to go get them. I also do the repairs and modification for them so they are ready to get out on the water very soon after they come to my home to pick them up.

In May of this year I and my wife were the only 2 kayakers we knew of, within 200 miles of us in any direction. Now we have 9 paddling friends and about 15 more interested.

I feel like a drug pusher. Getting people addicted.
I felt guilty.................

But I got over it!

Not really. I am picking them up for friends who I baited into trying our kayaks. Now they love it, so they are wanting to get kayaks themselves.
I have the truck with the rack, so I volunteered to go get them. I also do the repairs and modification for them so they are ready to get out on the water very soon after they come to my home to pick them up.
Excellent!
Good work finding kayaks in your area - what type of kayaks are they?

Reactions: CPS
Only 3 were in "my area" (120 miles from me) The others were in Montana and Colorado.

So far I have picked up an old Pyranha 13 foot 9 inch Everest WW kayak. (we kept as a loaner and fun boat) From Northern Colorado
An Old Town 16 foot kayak with spray skirt, paddles, paddle float, bilge pump and sponge (sold to my Brother) From Casper Wyoming
A Wilderness Systems 14 foot kayak with rudder, skirt, paddle and P. Float. (kept by my Wife) From Colorado Springs
A P&H 17 foot fiberglass with skirt and paddle (sold to a man in the near-by town) From Wolf Point Montana
A Perceptions 17 foot Sea Lion with skirt, paddle, splash jacket (sold to my friend and family dentist) From Bolder Colorado
2 Pelican sit-on-top kids kayaks (Kept as loaners to the kids from the near-y churches we are involved with) From Riverton Wyoming
And a Perception 14 ft Catalina (sold to the pastor's wife) Denver Colorado

So I have bought those above so far, but I don't have the "fleet" here. We have here only the 2 Old Town Loons, my Chatham 17, the Pyranha Everest and the A Wilderness Systems 14 foot, and the 2 Kiddy kayaks. Still, not a bad start for a place that had almost no one doing any kayaking last spring.

I hope to get 15-20 new paddlers active in the coming year.

A

Reactions: CPS
Going to visit my Mom and sister over the Thanksgiving holiday and I am bringing back one more kayak for another friend. It's a 17 foot Perception Essence and a spray skirt. My friend Len wants it. So this will add another member to our "Wyoming Flotilla" when I come back.

Good to hear,

I wish it was that easy everywhere,

Where I came from hundreds of people have basic kayaks and may use them once every 2 or 3 years.
When you ask them why the typical response is I have no one to go out with.
Then they still never go out when anyone offers to join them.

In my case I am just as comfortable going solo but would welcome company any

Back