Another Hullavator query

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by pawsplus, Feb 23, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

So. . .if you are loading just one boat which side do you put the Hullavator on? I see it both ways:

1. Put it on the driver's side so that the boat isn't over-weighted on the "downhill" side of the road camber. This is why you load a horse on the driver's side of the horse trailer (if you are only loading one horse into a horse trailer). But of course, a horse weighs a lot more than kayaks....

2. Put it on the passenger's side so that the boat isn't in danger when trucks pass on the left.

Which is best?

2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Do you want to load the boat from the curb side or the traffic side, if you ever have to do it 'on the street'?

I don't think there's much difference when you are actually driving.

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Dunno about Hullavator geometry, but on Yakima racks, solo, I mount my single on the driver's side so I can keep a better watch on it as I drive, for loose straps, etc.

4. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

With the Hullivator, even for short drives at low speed you'll need end ties I think. So you'll know if the boat is trying to get airborne.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I have bow and stern straps. It will be well secured, strapped into the Hullavator and then the Hullavator strapped to the rack for extra safety. But the boat is right at the edge of the vehicle on a Hullavator, for obvious reasons, which is why I wonder about keeping it on the passenger side, away from passing traffic.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

7. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I put it on the passenger's side. My friend Joel helped me assembling all a few weeks ago, but today I put the load bars back on (as I'm going to just keep them on) and sized the Hullavator for the boat. No pix of boat on car because it seemed pointless to strap it all in. But I'm ready to go now!! :) IMG_20180224_0914405_rewind.jpg Hopefully next weekend! It's supposed to thunderstorm today and I have to work tomorrow.