• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Bushnell Travel Tunes

1. most of us don't know you (if any), so have no idea if you are an assh*le or not.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

2. you made no point to mention that you wouldn't "expect to have it cranked to max volume all the time" when other campers are around.

Well, that's logical [sarcasm]: since I didn't say that I wouldn't have it cranked all the time, it certainly makes sense to assume that I would, and should be admonished not to, right? If I had posted a review of a tent, would people warn me not to pee in it?

3. music travels long distances on/near the water; especially bass, which you pointed out "is remarkable for such a small unit".

How do you read into that that I would be inconsiderate to other campers?

4. as much as kayakers hope for a beach/campsite to ourselves, this often isn't the case. While you may not see another camper from your site, the other side of the island or around a point may have other campers. Refer to point 3.

You're assuming something else to support the original assumption.

I don't believe anyone accused you of being an assh*le, we just (tried to) politely point out that not everyone wants to hear other campers' music.

Call it what you will, but just adding "politely" in a message doesn't change the fact it was ignorant and assuming. And why would you feel the need to state such an obvious fact?

Now...would you like a cuppa tea? :D

The humor is actually refreshing. However, I would prefer a beer over tea and, no, I wouldn't leave my can on the beach. :D

Dan_Millsip said:
Apparently, you missed the point, which is that no one here referred to you as an asshole but the potential for your system to annoy is definitely there.

Sure, the people on Pitt Lake were infringing upon other people's serenity quite a lot more than your little speakers, but nonetheless, your speakers are still an infringment upon those who come to the outdoors to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Nice? Yeah. :roll:

Seriously, Dan. Apparently you missed my point: How do you know my speakers are infringing on anyone's peace?

Julien said:
Seriously, Dan. Apparently you missed my point: How do you know my speakers are infringing on anyone's peace?
I didn't miss any point. If you're playing your music within ear shot of anyone else, then it would be infringing upon people's peace, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, if no one else is around, and your music is at a volume that doesn't travel to the next island (or across the lake, or whatever) then I certainly don't have a problem with it.

Look, you came in here talking about how great these speakers are (and I have no doubt that they are) and how you can take them camping with you. The bitter reality is that at most of the local places that we paddle, especially during the non-winter months, there will likely be other people present at campsites. That's a fact. It's also a fact that if the speakers are being used in a place where other people can hear them, it's infringing on their enjoyment of the quiet.

I'm not knocking you for having them, but I do agree with everyone else in this thread that the most considerate thing for everyone is to leave them at home. That's just my very humble opinion.

Relax, Julien. It's pretty obvious that most paddlers don't want to hear other people's music when they're out camping and enjoying the outdoors. There's no reason to get all riled up just because people don't share your enthusiasm for portable high-fidelity.

For what it's worth, I have a really nice set of Logitech portable speakers that absolutely rock -- but I leave them at home when I'm paddling.

However, I would prefer a beer over tea and, no, I wouldn't leave my can on the beach.
Now who's making assumptions?

Although I tend to agree with most of the rest of the posts here, in that most of us would probably prefer to hear the 'natural' sounds to anything amplified, I have to say that I appreciated Julien's initial post. It seemed to be a fair and quite detailed gear review! While I may not take the speakers camping with me, I just might consider picking up a pair for working on my gelcoat in the back yard!

I have to agree with Mark that Julien's review is appreciated -- but I think it's safe to say that most people don't want to hear them when camping.

As I mentioned, I have some Logitech speakers (that I use with my laptop) and mostly use them when I'm at Raimo's working on my boats (the laptop speakers and Raimo's clock radio don't quite cut it for me).

Mark_Schilling said:
Although I tend to agree with most of the rest of the posts here, in that most of us would probably prefer to hear the 'natural' sounds to anything amplified, I have to say that I appreciated Julien's initial post. It seemed to be a fair and quite detailed gear review! While I may not take the speakers camping with me, I just might consider picking up a pair for working on my gelcoat in the back yard!

I think Mark summed it up perfectly. I also prefer just the sounds of nature when it comes to camping but also find merit in Julien's review of the Travel Tunes. It would make a nice addition to any workshop or garage.

With that being said, I've also watched paddlers pull out musical instruments and play them at the campsite while others in their group sang along. Depending on who's singing....well, I guess that could also be considered an infringement. ;)

A buddy sometimes brings his recorder and plays a few short gigues or medieval tunes for us. A very soothing sound after dinner. Another brings his fiddle along (!).

Night night, all.

The sound of electronic music carries a long way. Particularly on those calm cold clear dark nights.

I have had enough of slanging altercations with inconsiderate campers, even those who did keep it to 'reasonable' levels, trying to explain what an intrusion their 'entertainment' was having on my enjoyment of the place. I really don't understand the need for the constant and intrusive noise.

I sympathise without condoning the violence done a few years ago by the guy who used a shotgun on two such inconsiderate jerks who were camping with a stereo at full bore. He killed the two of them, and, since he hasn't been seen since, probably off'ed himself too.

Guns won't change your mind, so I'll try an appeal on another level. Think of your music as noise pollution. It doesn't only affect other campers; it also affects wildlife. Your music is causing creatures all around to stay under cover rather than hunt, forage, or visit the local watering hole. Such stresses will affect populations of birds, sea mammals, creatures great and small, and probably the fish too.

Electronic music isn't consistent with minimum impact, leave-no-trace kayak camping ethics. You know that you do not have the 'right' to throw beer cans into the bushes. In the same light you do not have the 'right' to artificially alter the noise levels. Try and think of both of these as forms of pollution.

So may I suggest leaving the home entertainment system at home. Have some respect for others who really prefer to enjoy the natural silence, the noise of children playing, or even the sound of music by guitar or flute as was suggested by another on this thread. Really consider the impact all of your actions will have in a natural setting including but not limited to the music.

As Astoriadave noted, sometimes it is difficult to interpret the tone of posts, and it seems you feel our comments were personal attacks; I can assure you mine was not.

Julien said:
1. most of us don't know you (if any), so have no idea if you are an assh*le or not.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Hmmm...here's an example...I could read this as an honest thanks, or I could assume you were being sacastic. The same words can mean the total opposite of themselves. I'll choose to assume the best.

You're welcome. :)

Julien said:
2. you made no point to mention that you wouldn't "expect to have it cranked to max volume all the time" when other campers are around.

Well, that's logical [sarcasm]: since I didn't say that I wouldn't have it cranked all the time, it certainly makes sense to assume that I would, and should be admonished not to, right?

Here, however, you've clearly indicated your sarcasm so there is no confusion. Perhaps I am lacking reading comprehension skills, but I understood your statement:
...which is a huge plus because when I was expecting to have in cranked to max volume all the time.
to mean you intend to use them "all the time". Is that incorrect? Regardless, whether you use them all the time or not, it will disturb others around you.

Julien said:
If I had posted a review of a tent, would people warn me not to pee in it?

No, but since you bring it up, I wouldn't advise it. :wink: However, the example isn't really the same; no one would expect you to pee in your tent, but since it is clear you intend to use your speakers, it isn't much of a stretch to think it possible you might use them when others are around.

True, you didn't state you would. You say now that you obviously wouldn't, so it is nice to know that you are not "one of those" campers.

Julien said:
3. music travels long distances on/near the water; especially bass, which you pointed out "is remarkable for such a small unit".

How do you read into that that I would be inconsiderate to other campers?

Again, I don't think it was a stretch to think it possible, given that we don't know you. But many of us have had to share campsites with those who would, and we're tired of those kinds of campers.

I have to deal with noise everyday. I live in an area where I hear traffic noise. There is a park across the street where teens like to hang out and make noise all night on Fridays/Saturdays. Sirens from firetrucks, police cars and ambulances. I work downtown, on a construction site. Phones constantly ringing, heavy equipment back-up beepers constantly going, power tools constantly running, things being dropped and banging around. Workers shouting to be heard. I paddle to try and get away from the racket of daily life...yet unfortunately even that can be noisy. Power boats, float planes, car alarms, Harleys...noisy campers. I even prefer to limit the amount I talk to others while paddling in a group.

I feel like the grinch complaining about all the noise, noise, noise! All I want is a little peace and quiet. :?

I bet I'd find it in a sanitarium... :wink:

Julien said:
4. as much as kayakers hope for a beach/campsite to ourselves, this often isn't the case. While you may not see another camper from your site, the other side of the island or around a point may have other campers. Refer to point 3.

You're assuming something else to support the original assumption.

You're right. But just because you can't see other campers around, doesn't mean there aren't. While it is now clear wouldn't intentionally disturb others with your music, you may inadvertently do so in thinking no one else was around.

Julien said:
I don't believe anyone accused you of being an assh*le, we just (tried to) politely point out that not everyone wants to hear other campers' music.

Call it what you will, but just adding "politely" in a message doesn't change the fact it was ignorant and assuming. And why would you feel the need to state such an obvious fact?

If you feel my post was ignorant and assuming, I apologize. As I stated earlier, it wasn't my intent to offend you.

I stated the obvious because I've found that as much as I'd like to believe all kayakers have the same desire for peace and quiet, the same respect for the wild places we visit, and the same intentions to limit our impact and evidence of our being there...they don't. One of the great things about kayaking is that anyone can do it; it is not exclusive nor elitist. One of the downsides of kayaking is that anyone can do it; even people who like to listen to music while camping. I can only hope that those who do, do not realize how much it bothers others, and if they did, would respect their right to not hear anything other than waves, wind, and wildlife.

I'm glad to hear you respect other people, but you have to admit so many do not.

Julien said:
Now...would you like a cuppa tea? :D

The humor is actually refreshing. However, I would prefer a beer over tea and, no, I wouldn't leave my can on the beach. :D

:lol: I'm with you about the beer. At least we don't have to hold our pinky fingers out and eat microscopic sandwiches.

Julien said:
Call it what you will, but just adding "politely" in a message doesn't change the fact it was ignorant and assuming.
Sorry, but you are defensively out-of-line.. As stated, the rest of us here do not know you and only have to reflect upon your presentation. I was the first to reply amongst what I have felt to be all to be fair counter-points. My opinion was certainly not born out of ignorance, so how dare you charge that against us? Julien, you should take fair responsibility for the context & content of your OP:

Julien said:
725_100_1903_1.jpg
I see a camper in a familiar location and quite close to where others often camp, proud of setting his speaker to cover his camp site with sound. Sound can phenomenally carry. At your site you can be quite unaware of what others may receive.

What we may have assumed was quite grounded and rational:
Julien said:
...you can actually turn it up loud enough that it impedes casual conversation volume which is a huge plus because when I was expecting to have in cranked to max volume all the time.
Works best at higher elevations since the sound carries better - so, on a picnic table, stack of logs or big rock.
Those were your words and picture of the environment where you left no ambivalence of your intention to "turn it up loud enough to impede casual conversation .. all the time." ;) Maybe you erred in your presented intentions, but in a society such as this it is expected to receive responses concerning noise-pollution.

It's unfortunate that on internet forums that a knee jerk reaction to contention can be that of an angry confrontation. Please, in the future relax and assume that we are all friendly here. Re-consider what others are POLITELY saying, and why they feel as they do. Empathy can be sorely lacking in this world. To chime in with others -- no-one can be totally aware of their surroundings, so when making the choice to venture beyond civilisation it's best to limit impositions upon that environment and make the effort to retain it as you arrived.

Now for an extreme extreme anecdote....: On part of a trip last year, I spent a day paddling from just south of Tofino to beyond Bamfield. After uki I was astonished by a booming bass covering the coast! No exaggeration. I'd made a bee-line to the west of Wouwer island and all through the open crossing I could not escape the booming. It wasn't until I was clear of the SW tip of the Broken Group at Cree island that it fully dwindled off. My guess is that some pleasure boat was having a sunny day blast in Loudoun Channel -- to the chagrin of any within earshot both above and below water...

Julien said:
Sorry for the offending your sensitivities gentlemen and thanks for the assumption that I would be an assh*le and disturb other campers, should there even be anyone else even remotely close to myself or my group while I'm kayak camping. WTF? Seriously, sorry for barging in on your tea party.

Julien,
Having fun here on WCP are we? :lol:

I certainly assumed you would be considerate with your sound system should others camp nearby. I assume my assumption was correct.

As for Discovery Island and area, man, I'd prefer some tunes to the constant noise of far-away sirens and horns that carry across the water from Oak Bay and environs.

Going northward, I've camped further up the coast on Sandy Island with loud music and drunken teens all night long beside our tent, one older, big guy even entering un-invited into a young lady camper’s tent. I was there with my young children canoe camping. The RCMP arrived at 4:00 am on a Zodiac. I was about to relay to the RCMP via the VHF (wasn't worried about non-marine radio misused fines; I'd be anonymous). Not pleasant at all anyway, to say the least. And the loud music seemed the least of the worries. I had my flare gun ready the whole night. And I would waved it in defense had we been harassed directly

If I assumed wrongly and you would be inconsiderate enough to play music loudly around other campers, I might suggest Cabbage Island on a long weekend. Obviously, these are all places I avoid, including islands off Oak Bay.

Ah natural sounds of the sea, they are to be praised. Yes, sleeping beside pounding surf and the constant pelting of rain on one's tent fly, these are the soothing melodies of nature. :lol:

I hope you keep posting on WCP. You certainly turned the noise bandwidth up around here. :D

Regards,

Doug L

When you spend twice as much money on a camping stereo than on your tent,it's easy to assume where your priorities are.

rider said:
When you spend twice as much money on a camping stereo than on your tent,it's easy to assume where your priorities are.

skewed, perhaps?

Dan_Millsip said:
Now, now, let's be nice.

you're right of course, Dan. i apologize. spur of the moment comment.

in my defense:
you may recall that, back in may, i had a bad experience with 'party animals' where my kayak was stolen off the beech and a bunch of essential gear lost when the bone-heads capsized after they had openned the aft hatch to try and stuff another guy in the boat.

i wonder how durable that stereo is? how much abuse it could take and keep on playing?

Daren........

Personally, I can do without reviews of speakers, seadoos, wakeboards, cigar boats, and the best clubs for beach golf.

Unfortunately, most north americans are so lacking in brains, skill, & bravery that they can only measure their accomplishments by their possessions.

Dan_Millsip said:
As I mentioned, I have some Logitech speakers

As do I, but I wont be bringing them on this weekends trip....Ill bring my radio and ear buds.

BUT if one of my fellow campers asks me "have we finally won a medal?"

Im not going to tell them. :lol: :twisted: :roll: :p

i wonder how durable that stereo is? how much abuse it could take and keep on playing?

I was wondering if it would pass a float test. Preferably such a test would be conducted in deeper waters...in case the test failed.

On this same topic I had an interesting encounter with loud music (?) a few days ago. Camping at Halfway Beach opposite Salmon Inlet on the Lower Sunshine Coast just after 9am yesterday I heard what I thought to be a boom box coming from around the corner from the park further up the Sechelt Inlet, my first reaction was that it was a pleasure boat possibly after navigating the Skookumchuck having a spot of breakfast docked in one of the coves. I went to explore. As i rounded the promontory opposite Halfway island i was hit by the full force of the sound. It was wasnt a pleasure boater (my apologies) it appeared to be coming from the fish farm approx 3 KMs up the channel (as I found out after from Google Earth). I realize sound carries on the water but this was unbelievable. I paddled up to within a few hundred meters of the farm and it was in fact the employees of the farm playing their favs during fish feeding time. The noise stopped and then the generators started not as loud but a different annoyance ...I think they were sucking the fish from the pens. I headed back to camp and before I had landed the music started up again and went on until mid-day. As someone mentioned the effect of noise on wildlife is something that is not taken into consideration, what is so troubling is there is a nesting colony of Terns on Halfway Islet and I can only say they must have been as peed off as I was. I have to say that the paddle to the farm I saw not one seal, merganser or wildlife of any sort, whereas the journey from Tuwanek had been filled with good wildlife viewing. I have no informed opinion on fish farms either politically or environmentally, but I have a very strong view/opinion on noise pollution and that was just outrageous. I intend to do some digging and hopefully contact the owners to see if they care about public opinion I would suggest they try a better approach to keeping the staff happy then ruining the tranquillity of a particular lovely area. If they plead something to the tune of "It keeps the seals away" I have news for them it keeps more than the seals away.

Larry

Back