• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Extreme Risk Taking

Oh my word!!! That is nuts. Not your average kayaker fortunately. Thanks for sharing but I will NOT be attempting that drop just yet. Interesting that the spray skirt stayed on. I guess the plastic cover over the rim had something to do with that? ?

VanIslePaddler said:
Yeah pretty interesting vid. Congrats to the guy. A different mentality on paddling than I have :p

Me too - I prefer to stay relatively horizontal! :yikes:

I saw the vid twice before and never notices that his paddle got shorter.

maybe he pushed the release button????

maybe not

He might have pushed the release button, but I suspect the paddle broke since there is a mention of a sprained wrist in one of the interviews.

I've known a couple people who were addicted to extreme risk activities. Unfortunately, they are both dead. :roll:

I can't say their lives were the worse for what they loved to do. I can say they were shorter. :D

A buddy who chain-smoked most of his life claimed he was "living broader, at the expense of living longer ..." But then he quit smoking about 10 years ago. :wink:

I admire people who have the guts to step over the edge and push the limits of what is perceived as humanly possible.To me, the inspiration people like that provide is worth every tax dollar that may be spent on search and rescue and hospital bills. Would I wanna do it myself? Not in a thousand years.

My opinion is that it's not risky unless it's more dangerous than driving.
Something that appears risky to you may not be risky for an expert.

Historically, there have always been men who undertook risky endeavors because that was the only way they could acquire the wealth or recognition to breed. It seems likely that those traits have been passed down.
"MEN WANTED FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. SMALL WAGES,
BITTER COLD, LONG MONTHS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS,
CONSTANT DANGER, SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL. HONOR AND
RECOGNITION IN CASE OF SUCCESS."
This ad had 5000 applicants.

http://www.antarctic-circle.org/advert.htm
http://www.themarkofaleader.com/ezine/ezine-v28.html
google books

Nootka wrote: My opinion is that it's not risky unless it's more dangerous than driving.
Something that appears risky to you may not be risky for an expert.

So your saying that it is more dangerous to get in your car and drive then plunge off a 189 foot waterfall? Not sure where your driving.
And calling him an expert is a huge mistake, He is no expert, just a guy that flipped a coin and came up a winner (this time)

And your file is of an ad that may or may not be a real ad. And if it was real then fine but don't put those men in the same category as this fellow, their travels had a purpose.

Interesting responses though, I am wondering if you'd admire him for his bravery if he died trying this stunt.

waverider said:
Nootka
Interesting responses though, I am wondering if you'd admire him for his bravery if he died trying this stunt.

I'd say what I have said in somewhat recent history about another extreme sport athlete who died in a ski jumping/parachuting accident.....
" I feel bad for his family, but he died doing what he loved doing, after living a hell of a life and accomplishing as much as he has".

I don't huck over waterfalls so I can't speak for that particular sport; but I did notice that he worked his way up via smaller drops.

I CAN speak for ice climbing. If a non ice-climber was put on lead of a grade 4 (a moderate), they would assuredly be injured in short order. Yet the experts can climb grade 4 without a rope. One does not become an experienced ice climber in a season; it takes several years. You start by top-roping grade 2 & 3s, and work your way up. Like sea kayaking, one has to assimilate knowledge about both gear and technique. Is ice climbing risky? Not for those who are good at it.

And if you want dangerous driving, try the Trans Canada goatpath east or west of Revelstoke, where there is one semi every minute on a narrow twisty old highway that is often snow or ice covered. Even on good roads, driving is dangerous. Lots of drivers don't give it their full attention. Most accidents arise from someone's error. Just ask any experienced motorcycle rider what the greatest hazard is.

While I didn't personally read the original ad (before my time), it appears to be quite genuine. If you looked carefully at the references you wouldn't think it was dubious.

You think the crew members signed on for the thrill of exploring? If so, how is that different than exploring a waterfall? I submit that there is a high chance both cases are a result of men competing with other men because it gave our ancestors a genetic advantage.

I admire competence more than I admire bravery; but they are both in short supply.

Nootka,

You make good points comparing the descent of Palouse Falls with free-soloing grade 4 ice: similar to a walk in the park for the skilled; almost certain death for the uninitiated and inadequately prepared. And, I am certain that guy had scouted the drop very thoroughly before committing to it.

So, the true risk is likely much less than what most of us imagine. I think we agree on that.

If he gets off doing that, more power to him. That way of getting your jollies is not something I see as in the same category of explorers going into the unknown, trusting to their skills (and, some luck). Palouse Falls is a parlor trick: lotta skill needed, but when you're done, what have you accomplished? Reaching the North Pole with very early 20th century technology and dogs is a greater feat, in my book. I expect many disagree with that judgment.

"O brothers, who through a hundred thousand perils have reached the west, to this so brief vigil of the senses that remains to us, choose not to deny experience, in the sun's track, of the unpeople world." Dante, Inferno, Canto XXVI.

The character speaking is Ulysses who, according to Dante's extension of the ancient myth, was not satisfied with life at home with Penelope and his family, and set forth once more with his aged shipmates to explore beyond the pillars of Hercules (Straits of Gibraltar). Reaching the Antipodes, they spied Mount Purgatory rising into the clouds, but were swamped and drowned by a sudden storm.

Dante, like Homer before him, was fascinated by the human urge to go beyond the known. It's thanks to that urge that we started walking out of Africa a hundred thousand years ago. It also helps explain why some people kayak over waterfalls.

Awesome video, BTW.

Cheers,
Andrew

nootka said:
And if you want dangerous driving, try the Trans Canada goatpath east or west of Revelstoke, where there is one semi every minute on a narrow twisty old highway that is often snow or ice covered.

Do you mean the bit immediately east of Golden? Funny - every time I drive that piece of road (and despite the fact that it seems they've changed it every time I see it!) I think to myself what a dream it would be if I could drive that in some high-powered supercar in the summer with no other traffic around. What a total thrill that would be - it's the most exciting bit of road between here and Calgary! Alas, you always end up stuck behind a semi lumbering up (or down) the grade.

Proves the point, I suppose, of this thread - one persons thrill is considered dangerous or even suicidal to another.

Back