• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Let's talk about Coffee!

andreas

Paddler
As many of you know, I'm really rarely being seen without a cup of coffee in my hands :D Well, I'm addicted... It also doesn't help my addiction that my wife is working for a coffee roaster (www.levelground.com) :lol:

Therefore it is really difficult to impress me with a black brew.... :roll:

Anyhow, I was carrying one of those ones http://www.javajuiceextract.com/ around in my camping gear for over a year, afraid that it would be a another cheap crappy tasting brew I never opened it. Well today I was kind of desperate to get a shot I brewed one up. And WOW!!! That stuff is amazing :shock: I really couldn't believe how nice it tasted.

Even though I was highly impressed about the taste, I don't like the waste it creates... But the ideal solution for ultra light backpacking and for " emergencies " .

What coffee and what brew method do you prefer?

Cheers,

Andreas,

We have three local roasters, in a county of about 40.000 souls. I get a 50:50 blend of sumatra mandheling (decaf) and Ethiopian yirgacheffe (leaded) from one of the locals, and run boiling water through a cone filter, heavy on the beans ... one cup each morning unless Becky is around, in which case it is more like three cups!

Yeah, I like good coffee, also.

Oh, but the water is not heated with the burner of the demented, so it is probably no good. :wink:

Andreas... to be a true JavaJuice purist... (and tea too).

JJ tastes best when the water is 'off the boil' and not at a rolling boil when added to the extract. Let it sit for a minute after it's boiled or take it off the Trangia before it reaches the rolling boil stage. You'll save fuel that way too :wink: .

The water I used today was just "right". And you are right it tasted even better a couple of minutes after I mixed it up :D

Do you know where I can refill my supply here in town?

Cheers,

How convienent, I just bought an MSR mugmate coffee filter/maker this afternoon.[/img]

Everytime I think I've found the perfect coffee, it's different the next time. I guess that's the thing with the small batch roasters, sometimes it's perfect sometimes it's not. Guess it's all part of the adventure right?

Best I've ever had was in a little coffee shop in Celaya, Guanajuato, Mexico. The Square where all the Mariachi's hang out, looking for work ;)

Andreas brews a pretty wicked cuppa though :wink:

daniel

Lets talk about coffee

I really enjoy that morning cup of coffee on the beach or the trail. Most of the time it seems I am the only one that drinks it so I pack a couple of options. I carry along fresh ground beans in a tight, waterproof container and do like the cowboys do. Boil the water, pour into a cup with a tablespoon and a half of grinds. While it sits brewing, I mix a couple of teaspoons of powdered milk in cold water. After 2 minutes, drizzle the cold water or powdered milk around the top of the cup. After one minute, the grinds precipitate and you have a nice cuppa. The science behind it escapes me but it works.

This takes time, and for the days when time is missing the tide, I boil up water and add a teaspoon or so of Maxwell House instant with powdered milk.

It works, but you wouldn't catch me doing it at home.

Take your best grounds and make a tea bag out of a Mr Coffee paper filter. Boil the tea bag for 5 minutes and you have the best cup of home brewed coffee on the trail... no grinds, no mess, no measuring.

camper10469 said:
Take your best grounds and make a tea bag out of a Mr Coffee paper filter. Boil the tea bag for 5 minutes and you have the best cup of home brewed coffee on the trail... no grinds, no mess, no measuring.

been there, done that. went back to a travel mug that is it's own french press.

Daren....

After reading this thread way back when, I bookmarked the aeropress, as I'm always looking for an improved gizmo to add to the kit. One of the local coffee shops started carrying them so I picked one up.

It makes a GREAT cup of coffee. Low acid, since you brew for only about 10-15 seconds. Filtered, so no grinds. (My aging tummy can't handle a french press). The paper filters are actually reusable, so you only end up with this puck of grinds to dispose of.

You press through a double espresso-sized serving and add water to taste. Cafe Americano type brew.

The watery results I was getting from my 1-cup drip-filter thingy over the mug was miserable. That morning cup is a crucial part of the day. I wouldn't camp without an aeropress. Even use it at home.

GREAT cup of coffee. Usual disclaimer, no affiliation etc.

I haven't looked around very much, but I've seen them at espressotec in Richmond for $38.

The key (imo) to good coffee is getting the grind right, and getting it fresh. I have a hand grinder that I can take car camping.

You know, if I was rich and obsessive, I would get a vacuum package sealer. I think I bought one for work for like $400. lol. Grind at home, vacuum seal, and take 'er into the wilderness.

Heh, you guys and your 'fancy' coffee. :roll:

My favorite coffee out in the bush, is Tasters Choice with a little spoon of condensed milk. A friend turned me onto it years ago. It's seriously good, kind of a bush version of Vietnamese desert coffee.

Back