• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Sea Kayaker from NZ ?visiting July - Sept 2015

silverlight

I am from Wellington NZ. Have some leave coming up and considering heading to Seattle. Depending on availability of a sea kayak, whether I buy or borrow would like to do some paddling. If not will probably tramp. Have been considering a solo paddle trip but also open to joining others.
My favorite paddling is in the wilderness areas in New Zealand Fiordland in particular and wild camping and exploring as much as I can. I love getting on the water early and taking opportunities to explore the areas I paddle, tracks historic sites etc, but am flexible.
Currently I paddle a Nordkapp and also have Looksha IV and a couple of Voyager Doubles (one split apart) The latter are based on a Nordkapp modified boat called the Artic raider( so a stretched Artic raider)
I just thought it was worthwhile posting something in case anyone had some thoughts or interest.
Last time I visited your part of the world I cycled up Vancouver Island and ferried the inside passage, did the Chilkoot trail and did some tramping in Denali and back of Anchorage.
Clearly if there was interest I would be happy to reciprocate someone visited New Zealand

Hi Silver,

Welcome to our community. on a number of occasions I've heard first hand reports of how welcoming and helpful Kiwis (I hope you don't mind the nickname?) are to visitors to their homeland but that stems from meeting face to face which allows some form of character evaluation before opening further interaction. I'd suggest posting a bit more on here so people can get more comfortable with you as a fellow paddler and perhaps you'd get more responses.

I for one read your post and immediately thought of my boat sitting unused (injuries) down by the water and my upcoming trip to Europe. Put the two together and it might be a good thing, but the cynic in me said "hold on, who knows who this guy is?" While I like the idea of being helpful and showing off the beauty of our coastline I'd need to know a bit more about you before loaning out my boat while I'm away. Reading your post you sound like a kindred soul, so I'll put it out there that there could be a boat available for your use on the upper Sunshine Coast near Powell River. Paddling around here isn't exactly as wild as West coast Van Isl. but you could hitchhike here and launch from my yard and have a descent time.The boat isn't shiny new, it's a fairly well used composite P&H Quest, but it is serviceable and capable.

If this sounds interesting, let me know. Post here with more info about yourself and past adventures to maybe entice others to get involved and we could take our specific conversation to PMs or email for more detail.

For what it's worth if I were you (and had sufficient $$) I'd head over to Tofino, rent a boat and explore the West coast which to me has way more possibilities for "real" wilderness adventure.

Hi
Thanks for the comments. Sorry its taken a long time to get back. I had 6 weeks over in the Seattle and Vancouver area 2015 in the end. Did three tramping trips, the Wonderland trail around Mt Rainier, the West-coast trail and the North coast trail on Vancouver island. Plus a paddle with friends in Seattle, one a sea kayak author and instructor. Also got a few days on a commercial trip from Telegraph cove, in between these. I am now looking at doing a more serious sea kayaking trip this Summer. Maybe basing gear in Port Hardy, with view of more trips in the future. I do love the quieter remote paddling. Not not sure re solo or with others. Am exploring possible options, not everyone is into long trips and yes getting the right fit certainly helps Feel a bit drawn both ways!
I had an article printed in the NZ sea kayak magazine from my brief paddle from Telegraph. Did some nice early morning paddles on my own...such a delight , superb country, magic moments with a dozen sea lions and yes some whale encounters. I must admit lovely with the water to myself. But I am sociable too.
Thanks so much for the very thoughtful responses.
I haven't got used to the website yet so didn't insert any photos and will have a think about whether I will increase my profile to generate interest.
many thanks

Hi Silverlight

Good to hear you got out a bit on Vancouver Island.
Is your article in the KASK magazine? If so, I'll have to look it up.
Are you back in Wellington now? I'm down your way in March/April 2016 for a bit of paddling.

Getting back to your next trip to BC, may I suggest one possibility.

Paddle out of Port Hardy to Gods Pocket.
Camp at Nolan Point on the south tip of Balaklava Island and take in the intertidal life in Browning Passage.
From here you can explore other islands in this group or cross to Vancouver Island and return to some of the beaches on the North Coast Trail.
You can hire a kayak in Port Hardy, which makes logistics easier.

When is your planned return to BC?

Hi Gary
Thanks for the suggestions, I am am starting to do some prep. And draft up some information and research.

I am planning to return perhaps July August. I can manage say 4-5 weeks range including travel and prep for the trip. I may bring a boat over, depending on costing etc.

Yes my trip article is in KASK newsletter. Its not a typical trip report its more about the impact of man on nature.

Your right I am back in Wellington. If you are over my way sing out. Let me know if I can help in any way. There is certainly some great paddling in NZ.

Cheers Silverlight

Back