• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Fog/no fog

AM

Paddler
I paddled up Alouette Lake last weekend. These shots were taken a couple of hours apart:

4F432F2E-EA3D-4E59-8F00-1443D48354E3.jpeg

FC55618F-8B91-4CC1-BEDF-65DEAA1CD43C.jpeg

Paddling through fog can be an otherworldly experience. Sometimes it feels meditative, other times it can be pretty scary. Meditative in that your world is so shrunken and everything beyond 50 m from the boat has no horizon and no direction, and so you are totally focused on your immediate surroundings. But it can be scary for the same reasons- you are totally lacking greater situational awareness.

Years ago on a trip I did a 40 km open-water crossing in the Gulf of Alaska, mostly through fog. It was a relatively thin marine layer where there were hints of blue sky directly above me, but in every other direction I could only see a short distance. So for hour after hour, it was like being inside a ping-pong ball. With about 10 km to go I paddled out of the fog and could see my island way station . Then the next day, I basically repeated the same scenario to get to the mainland of Alaska. I was a bit more mentally prepared for the second day.

Leaving the Perevalnie Islands, and somewhere out in the soup are the Barren Islands:

52668550757_4cf6ddefdf_h.jpg

With a couple hours left to go, my destination materialized out of the fog:

52668550742_23baed1cd1_h.jpg

Back